- Catalogue Number
- Title and Date
- Jan in Venice 2007
- Description of Featured Image
- A profile portrait of the artist Jan Senbergs facing right, showing the head and shoulder. Senbergs is dressed in a striped shirt. In the right background is a summary depiction of a Venetian church.
- Series/Book Title
- Venice Series
- Series/Illustration Number
- No. 6
- Where Made
- Medium Category and Technique
- Intaglio Print: Drypoint on copper
- Wove paper. Identified papers: No papers identified.
Image size: 258 x 177 mm
Matrix size: 260 x 180 mm
- Artist’s Record Number
- Printer(s) and Workshop(s)
- All impressions printed by Martin King at the Venice Printmaking Studio, Venice.
- Summary Edition Information
- Two states. No edition.
- State Library of Victoria, Melbourne: three state impressions, numbered 1-1, 2-1, 1-2.
- Venice Series: Click for a full account of the Venice Series (cat. nos E.138–E.150).
The painter and printmaker Jan Senbergs (b. Latvia 1939; arr. Australia 1950) is a friend of Amor’s, and one of the four artists who worked on the Venice Printmaking Project.
This portrait was scored directly onto the plate from life; it was never editioned, because Amor considered it too slight. The sketchy depiction of the baroque church in the background of the print is not based on a real view but is a copy of a detail in one of Senbergs’s drawings made in Venice.
E.143 is one of two portraits that Amor made of his friend in Venice, the other being a pencil sketch in the large Venice Sketchbook; this drawing, dated 13 June 2007, depicts Senbergs working on an etching.
In 2013 Amor painted an oil portrait of Jan Senbergs.
- Jan Senbergs, Venice
Record last updated 17/02/2021