- Catalogue Number
- Title and Date
- Self portrait at 63
- Description of Featured Image
- A frontal head and shoulders self portrait with beard and moustache. Amor wears spectacles, his shirt is unbuttoned at the neck and he looks straight ahead.
- Where Made
- Alphington, Melbourne
- Medium Category and Technique
- Intaglio Print: Drypoint and burnishing on copper
- Wove paper. Identified papers: Somerset paper with watermark: ‘Somerset / ENGLAND’; Velin Arches paper.
Image size: 342 x 219 mm
Matrix size: 345 x 223 mm
- Artist’s Record Number
- Printer(s) and Workshop(s)
- All state impressions printed by Rick Amor in his Alphington studio. Edition printed by Simon White at the Australian Print Workshop, Fitzroy (Melbourne).
- Summary Edition Information
- Five states. Edition of ten numbered impressions, 2012.
- Niagara Galleries 2012: Niagara Galleries, Richmond (Melbourne), Rick Amor 2012, 28 August – 29 September 2012, no. 10, ed. 1/10.
- Australian Print Workshop 2014: Australian Print Workshop, Fitzroy (Melbourne), APW George Collie Memorial Award Exhibition: Rick Amor + Noel Counihan, 30 August – 4 October 2014, no. 15.
- Art Gallery of South Australia 2016–17: Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide, Rick Amor: Contemporary Romantic, 2 December 2016 – 30 April 2017 [no catalogue].
- Niagara Galleries, Rick Amor (exh. cat.), Niagara Galleries, Richmond, Victoria, 2012, cat. no. 10, ed. 1/10 (illustrated).
- State Library of Victoria, Melbourne: seven state impressions, numbered 1-1 through 1-6, all dated 2011; one state impression, numbered 1-7, dated 2012; AP 2/2, dated 2012.
- Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide: ed. 7/10, dated 2012 (promised gift).
- British Museum, London: APW presentation proof 1/2, dated 2012 (2013,7021.2).
This self portrait was scored directly onto the plate in 2011, after Amor had turned sixty-three (on 3 March), and was worked on into 2012, when it was editioned. Its five states show an incremental progression from a strong graphic rendering, printed with rich burr, towards a more tonal portrayal, modelled with delicate drypoint effects.
The work was commissioned by the Australian Print Workshop for inclusion in its 2014 exhibition APW George Collie Memorial Award Exhibition: Rick Amor + Noel Counihan.
- Self portrait
Record last updated 04/10/2017