- Catalogue Number
- Title and Date
- Self portrait 1995
- Description of Featured Image
- A frontal self portrait showing the head of the artist, who looks over the top of his spectacles. The remnants of an earlier, horizontal composition are evident.
- Where Made
- Alphington, Melbourne
- Medium Category and Technique
- Intaglio Print: Drypoint and etching on copper
- Wove paper. Identified papers: No papers identified.
Image size: 303 x 200 mm
Matrix size: 303 x 200 mm
- Artist’s Record Number
- Printer(s) and Workshop(s)
- All impressions printed by Rick Amor in his Alphington studio.
- Summary Edition Information
- One state. No edition.
- For an illustration of the painting The lamp, 1994, see Niagara Galleries, Rick Amor (exh. cat.), Niagara Galleries, Richmond, Victoria, 1994, cat. no. 5.
- State Library of Victoria, Melbourne: one state impression, numbered 1; AP II/IV.
This self portrait sketch was drawn directly, in front of a mirror, onto a copper plate that had been used earlier and discarded. The initial, horizontal composition on the plate derived from Amor’s painting The lamp, 1994, which depicts a man with a suitcase walking in a vast, museum-like interior, in the centre of which stands a large classical vase; an elaborate lantern is suspended at the upper left.
In making E.091, Amor scored over with drypoint the main features of the earlier composition but the subject remains visible, especially when the sheet is turned laterally to the left.
This is one of two intaglio self portraits made by Amor in 1995. For the other, see Self portrait (small) (cat. no. E.096).
- Self portrait
Record last updated 19/07/2017