- Catalogue Number
- Title and Date
- Self portrait 2003
- Description of Featured Image
- The head of the artist, facing forward and looking straight ahead; he has spectacles and is wearing an open-necked shirt.
- Where Made
- Alphington, Melbourne
- Medium Category and Technique
- Intaglio Print: Etching and burnishing on copper
- Wove paper. Identified papers: Velin Arches paper.
Image size: 266 x 188 mm
Matrix size: 270 x 193 mm
- Artist’s Record Number
- Printer(s) and Workshop(s)
- All state impressions printed by Rick Amor in his Alphington studio. Edition printed by Martin King at the Australian Print Workshop, Fitzroy (Melbourne).
- Summary Edition Information
- Two states. Edition of ten numbered impressions, 2003.
- For an illustration of the painting Self portrait with postcard of Graeco Roman bust, 2003, see Linda Short (ed.), Rick Amor: A Single Mind (exh. cat.), Heide Museum of Modern Art, Bulleen, Victoria, 2008, p. 85.
- State Library of Victoria, Melbourne: one state impression, numbered 1-1; ed. 5/10 and ed. 6/10.
- National Gallery of Australia, Canberra: ed. 4/10 (2007.685).
This is one of two self portraits that Amor made in 2003, the other being the painting Self portrait with postcard of Graeco Roman bust (Short 2008). Etched towards the end of 2003, E.127 is the last self portrait made by Amor before he succumbed to Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS) in 2004.
The etching was highly resolved in its first state, but was refined with more tonal work, done with the etching needle and the burnisher, in the second and final state, when it was also re-etched; the re-etching made the lines thicker, and thus darker when printed.
- Self portrait
Record last updated 11/09/2017